Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Something in the Water

Working in a school, it's almost inevitable that I will pick up certain ailments from time to time. After all, when a 3rd grader sneezes right in your face, it seems that all the vitamin C in the world won't prevent what's to come.

Some things are expected to spread throughout an elementary school like wildfire. Strep throat jumps from classroom to classroom. Pink eye seemingly gets contracted from just making eye contact. And I'd rather not talk about the lice scare of 2006. Lost a lot of good people out there.

However, lately at my school, there's been a very different epidemic. At times, those affected will suffer from nausea and vomiting, but this is no simple stomach virus. No, you can't just take 24 hours off from life to let this clear up. This is a condition that lasts roughly 9 months. That's right. It's pregnancy.

One teacher gave birth a few weeks ago. Another is due to begin her maternity leave before the end of this month. Yet another has a due date in April of next year. Today the news broke that our 2nd grade teacher will welcome her third child in May.

I try to drink plenty of water throughout the day. It's important to stay hydrated. But I may need to start bottling my water from home and bringing it with me. Who knows what kind of risk I'm running by drinking the water from these fountains. I just cannot afford to get pregnant right now.


2 comments:

  1. And I thought you were smart? A pregnancy lasts a lot longer than nine months. Try a minimum of eightteen years, sometimes longer. It can get pretty scary at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I actually thought about that while I was writing this post and almost made a comment about it. And then I didn't...

      Delete