Monday, April 07, 2014

So Many Multiple Changes

Really, there have only been a few changes. But they've taken place steadily over the past month or so. And they've been incredibly stressful. Normally, I use the act of writing for this blog as a means to relieve the stress that accumulates each day. For whatever reason, lately, that stress has kept me from even wanting to do that.

And now, here I am, writing again. Did the stress go away? No. And it won't go away for about another week. Honestly, I feel like it's going to keep getting worse before the miraculous end.

Back story: I started working as a counselor two years ago. I was placed in a school (which we'll henceforth call School #1) where, over time, I became comfortable. Before the next school year, I was "asked" to transfer to a different school (which we'll henceforth call School #2). I wasn't thrilled, but I went. Again, over time, I grew comfortable and made friends. It was at that point I half-seriously informed the powers that be that I would quit if they tried to move me again.

Fast forward to March of 2014. After more than a year and a half at School #2, I was suddenly "asked" to transfer back to School #1. I agreed to do so, feeling I had no real choice in the matter.

This sudden change disrupted not only my life, but the lives of the students I'd been working with for nearly two years. This change also irritated the teachers and principal as well. Actually, the principal was a lot more than irritated.

So my bosses called my bluff. I'd been transferred, but had no intention of quitting. It just wouldn't have been practical. I enjoy food and shelter far too much to go without a paycheck.

Besides, it was for the children. At least, that's what I like to tell myself. The kids at School #1 were suddenly without a counselor. Someone needed to go there and take over, at least temporarily. If it hadn't been me, it would have been someone else. Someone less familiar with the school, the faculty, and staff.

So I was back in my original school. All the teachers were thrilled to have me back. I put on a happy face (well, as happy as I can do), but I was less than thrilled. I was working with a student that I refused to follow back to his old school, along with four others with whom I was completely unfamiliar. I may have known the school, but I didn't know its students that well. Especially after being gone for two years. That first kid, though, was a full time job all on his own. I can't share details, but that kid is the cause of the majority of my stress. Since returning to School #1, I've left with a severe headache every single day.

Meanwhile, another company heard of my plight. I was asked to send in my resume and interview for a new job. It's actually the exact same job that I've done for two years, just with a different company. Oh, and they'll put me back at School #2, where I want to be anyway.

That's the part of the big changes that has yet to happen. My final day with my current employer, placed in School #1, will be next Tuesday. I'll begin with my new company on the following Monday.

I said the whole thing has been incredibly stressful. That's no lie. At the same time, it's been very flattering. I've got two schools, two principals, and two companies fighting over me as a counselor. I kind of feel like the prettiest girl at the prom trying to choose who I should dance with. Except I'm not a girl. And I don't dance. I've never put much stock in my abilities as a counselor, thinking I was mediocre at best. The principal of School #2 informed me that I was a great counselor, worth fighting for. From her, I consider that a high compliment.

I hold no ill will toward my current/former employers. In the time I've been with that company, I've learned a great deal about who I am as a counselor and who I want to become, beyond this time in my career. They gave me a good home and I'll be forever grateful for it. Now it's time for me to move on. Someday, I'm almost certain, it will be time for me to move on from the company that I'm about to join. That's just how life works.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

(Bonus points if you know where that last line came from.)

BTdub... Don't forget about my 2000th Blog Post Spectacular! You can still win stuff! Several Oz-related items. Not the old HBO show. The Oz with the Wizard and Wicked Witch and Dorothy and stuff. The contest goes on through next Tuesday (4/15). Don't wait to enter!

2 comments:

  1. After a rough week, I really needed to read this post. Thank you for the inspiration I found in this, that I can make it through the next 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closing time....


    Good luck on your new job at your old school. :)

    ReplyDelete