Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Schoolyard Superhero

I think we can all agree that I'm not very strong or fast. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But for some reason, the little kids that I work with in the elementary school see me as some kind of Superman.

I don't really want to contradict that belief. I like Superman. Being compared to the world's greatest superhero isn't so bad. I just can't keep up with the part they expect me to play.

I go out on the playground with the classes sometimes. And a lot of them will run up to me and yell, "Mr. Peck! Will you push us on the merry-go-round?" How can you say no to those faces? Unless you're a parent, then you should probably get used to saying no quite often. But I'm not a parent. I'm just a guy that works at their school. And they think I can push the merry-go-round better than any of the kids in their class just because I'm bigger and slightly stronger. But just slightly.

And yet, they convince me to push the merry-go-round. I run and push until I'm about to collapse. Believe it or not, it doesn't take long for that feeling to kick in. One time I actually did fall. My foot slipped in the sawdust that makes up the playground area. Really, it's not 'cause I'm a klutz or anything. Stop judging me!

But it is kind of nice to have a group of small children who look up to you. On the other hand, there are the older kids. I heard a rumor the other day that those kids think I'm weird. No, I can't dispute that fact, but it kind of blows the idea I had in my head that I was on track to be one of the popular kids.

Guess I'll just have to stick with hanging out at the merry-go-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment