Sunday, May 26, 2013

Luscious

"This isn't really my kind of place!" yelled Leigh over the noise of the crowd.

Christine just shook her head. "That's why we're here! Time for you to get out more!"

Leigh sat at the bar and absentmindedly stirred her drink. Exams were over and Christine had talked her into going out to celebrate the end of another semester. She was okay with celebrating. She just wasn't sure how she was talked into walking into a place called Luscious. Who names a bar Luscious? It sounds like the name of a strip joint. Thankfully, Leigh looked around and saw that it wasn't that kind of establishment.

"I'm gonna try to get us a table!" Christine yelled. Leigh just waved her off as she took a sip of her Seven & Seven.

Great, she thought, now I'm sitting here alone. How long 'til some drunk guy delivers a cheesy pick up line?

"Excuse me, do you have a Band-Aid?" asked a random frat guy.

Three seconds. "I sure don't, sport!"

"That's a shame. I skinned my knee when I fell for you over there," the guy said, delivering the end of his pick up line.

"Sounds like you're kind of a klutz. Maybe you should cut yourself off from the alcohol for the night."

Frat Guy faked a laugh. "Sorry, I know that was kind of lame. Can I make it up to you? Buy you a drink?"

Leigh sighed, "Already got one, sport. Sure you didn't hit your head when you fell for me? You're kind of having a hard time paying attention to your surroundings."

She could tell that the Frat Guy was getting frustrated. Apparently he was just used to girls dropping everything in their lives whenever he came on to them. Not this girl.

"Come on, Leigh!" Christine shouted from a few feet away, much to Leigh's relief.

"Better luck next time!" Leigh yelled to Frat Guy as she grabbed her drink and walked over to Christine's empty table.

She sat down and looked at Christine, who rolled her eyes at her friend. Leigh was the one who should have been rolling her eyes. She knew what Christine was thinking. A good looking guy was hitting on her and she rejected him flat out. Multiple times. "Don't say it," said Leigh.

"Say what?" Christine asked.

"You know what."

"I'm not saying anything," she said as she looked over at Frat Guy, who looked as if he was ready to pounce on more vulnerable prey.

Leigh got Christine's attention. "I don't think I'm gonna stay much longer. You know I hate these kinds of places."

"Come on!"

"I'm serious. It's loud, it's populated by morons and I'm pretty sure I've got a massive headache coming on."

"All right," Christine said, "Let's go."

Leigh sighed again. "You don't have to go. Stay. Have fun. Just be careful around Frat Guy up there."

"I'm not staying here by myself, are you crazy?"

"Good girl." Leigh said as she and Christine got up, closed their bar tabs, then made their way to the exit. "So on the list of places to hang out in town, we can remove Luscious, right?"

"Absolutely."

2 comments:

  1. Loved the conversation and I could imagine the setting so well. I didn't want it to stop.

    ReplyDelete