Monday, May 05, 2014

Acquiring a Taste

Why can't I just like coffee? This is a question I ask myself frequently, but especially on days like today.

Some local folks provided the school with some pretty fancy coffee as a thank you for serving the community. It looked like a Starbucks in the teachers' lounge. So I decided to give this coffee thing a shot.

It's not the first time I've gotten it into my head to try coffee. Mom attempted to train me up as a coffee drinker when I was a kid. It didn't take. I always assumed I would learn to like coffee as a part of my college education. That didn't happen either.

Around the time I turned 30, I decided it was time to give coffee another chance. My thinking was that I was really an adult at that point. Time to drink a grown up beverage. I went so far as to buy my own coffee pot. I had it in my kitchen up until the time I moved back to Virginia. I never once turned it on.

That brings us back to this morning. I couldn't say no to the set up that lay before me. So I grabbed a cup and filled it with the coffee that I was told was not as strong as the others available. Knowing I couldn't possibly drink it black, I mixed in sugar, cream, and vanilla flavoring. All those extras just didn't help. It still tasted, as one friend put it, like dirt water.

But how could I pass all that up?
Does this mean I'm doomed to wander the earth for the rest of my days, avoiding espressos and cappuccinos? Maybe. Or maybe I'll keep taking baby steps toward acquiring a taste for the bitter beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment