Sunday, May 04, 2014

The Whatifs

There are only about three and a half weeks left in the school year. So it's a little strange that I'm nervous about tomorrow as if it's the first day of school.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that a change was coming in my career. Basically, I'll be doing the same job for a different company. Bonus, I'll be working in a familiar school, where I've been based for the majority of the last two years. Why should I be nervous?

Honestly, I have no idea. The truth of the matter is, I have no logical reason to feel nervous. I know the teachers, the administration, and the students. Granted, I don't know the kids I'll be working with that well, having never worked directly with them in the past. That part will come with time. My experience in this position should make the transition fairly simple. But that hasn't stopped the "whatifs" from creeping into my skull.

"What if I'm not good enough? What if the kids don't like me? What if I do the wrong thing?" So many ridiculous questions just floating around in my brain.

Shel Silverstein says it better than I ever could.
I know that tomorrow will be all right. I don't imagine that everything will be spectacular. I think it will be just another work day. And I'm confident that I won't be facing any worst case scenarios when Monday comes.

So here's what's gonna happen. I'm gonna go to sleep tonight. I'm gonna hope I don't lose sleep over the whatifs. I'm gonna wake up in the morning and do this job to the best of my ability, just like I have for the last 2.5 years. Should be fun.

2 comments: