Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just A Phone Call Away

Today, as I was waiting for chapel to begin, I listened as a friend talked about a phone call she got from her mom. Her mother had told her that she had to come home this weekend for reasons I won't go into here. This got me thinking: When was the last time I got a phone call from my mom?

I've been in my new "home" for three weeks now and I've noticed that the frequency of phone calls has dwindled. That first week, I was getting calls from mom daily, sometimes twice. Now, time has passed (again, only three weeks) and I just don't get calls anymore. She called me Monday to confess that she had misplaced a wedding invitation that I had received.

She called at one point the week prior to tell me she wanted me to come home. Not just for a visit. No, she wants me to see the living room she had just painted. I just don't think I can bring myself to make the 3 hour drive just to look at the new taupe on the wall.

So I ask, have I been forgotten? It's not like I beg for money whenever she calls, as some college students often do. This is graduate school, let's not lower ourselves to act as undergrads.

So if you're out there and you need someone to talk to, feel free to call. If you have my number. I'm not just gonna give it out. That's crazy... posting a personal phone number on the world wide web. (Not that anyone reads this thing anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment