Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Am Me Stoopid?

I'm in seminary. I'm taking classes on the graduate level. I always considered myself a somewhat intelligent individual. No genius, by any stretch of the imagination, but smart enough to do will in all previous incarnations of school. That is, when I apply myself. See, I figured out during high school that I could get by on Bs and Cs without studying, so why study? Well, now I'm studying. Applying myself, and some of this stuff I just don't get.

For example: I'm reading a very old work by Anselm of Canterbury and it's going right over my head. Maybe not right over my head. It's way over my head. This is for my class in Church History, the subject that was my concentration for my BA at Bluefield. Yet as I read the things that this guy wrote, I'm completely at a loss. Here's a short passage from Anselm's Proslogion:

Therefore, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, exists in the understanding alone, the very being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, is one, than which nothing greater can be conceived. But obviously this is impossible. Hence, there is no doubt that there exists a being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, and it exists both in understanding and in reality.

Okay, is it just me or is that really confusing? That's just one paragraph of one chapter of this work that I need to summarize, figure out the main point, and agree or disagree. Seriously, if anyone gets what this guy is talking about, help a brother out.

No comments:

Post a Comment