Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Tin Man


I'm a big fan of The Wizard of Oz. So several months ago, when I heard the Sci Fi Channel was making an updated version of the classic tale, I was intrigued. Finally, Sunday night, the mini-series Tin Man began. It lasted three nights and I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but good.

It was an interesting take on the old L. Frank Baum children's story. D.G. is the main character (get it? Dorothy Gale?) and finds herself swept away by a travel storm to the Outer Zone (get it? O.Z.?). She does meet the Munchkins, but this ain't the Lollypop Guild. She meets a man who's missing a brain, but this ain't a scarecrow. She meets someone known as a "Tin Man" but here it means he's a cop, not a lumberjack. And the Cowardly Lion... not so much a lion as a mutant, hairy, psychic guy. Not your father's Wizard.

I need to pose a question to you, my three faithful readers. Some time ago I had an idea for a continuation of the Oz story. A story where Dorothy was grown up and deemed slightly insane because of her wild stories of Oz in her childhood. She's almost convinced that Oz wasn't real, but then she's violently pulled back. Lots of crazy things happen, as it's a darker world now which reflects Dorothy's insanity. So my question is this: Should I even bother writing this?

It almost seems that the landscape is being saturated with new takes on Oz, first with Wicked, now with Tin Man. Would one more book even make a difference? Or would it just blend into the woodwork? I mean, it's something I've been working on when I've had some spare time, so I'm not sure that it would even get published. Anyway, I await your thoughts. Feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment