Thursday, May 03, 2012

Get Busy Livin'

I've missed this. You know what I mean? These moments that I'm able to share with the three or four of you who still check this blog to see if I'm still alive and well.

I am, by the way. Alive. And... well... I guess I'm well enough.

Things are a little up in the air right now. I'm in between apartments, meaning I'm relying on the kindness of friends in order to have a roof over my head. I'm incredibly grateful for these friends. Words cannot express. I'll move into my new place on Sunday and I'm really excited to finally say that I'll be settled somewhere. At least on a semi-permanent basis. More about that another time.

Also up in the air, my finances. To say I'm broke would be an understatement. Moving from one apartment to another is an expensive business. Even if you don't have to rent a truck because you've managed to get rid of 90% of your worldly possessions. There's the new rent to consider, which, if you play it right, shouldn't be much worse than where you just left. And then there's the deposit. That usually turns into an unplanned expense.

But I'm not stressing out over money. I refuse to do something like that. Really, what's the point in stressing out over things? Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but just doesn't get you anywhere. The flip side of the whole being broke thing is that I love my job. I won't lie and say it's something I want to do until I inevitably cannot retire because social security will evaporate over the next 40 years. No, there are other career paths I may choose to explore in the future. But I love what I'm doing right here and now.

I get to work with kids who've kind of been dealt a bad hand. A lot of the time, they're doing the best they can with what they have. And when they're obviously not doing the best they can, I'm there to lend support however I'm able. I know I'm not perfect and I know I'm not working miracles in any of these kids' lives. But I feel like I'm able to make some kind of small difference. It's a good feeling.

So I haven't been keeping up with my blog the way I used to. A few years ago I pledged to post something every single day. It was a New Year's resolution back when I was still new to North Carolina. If you've been following that long, you'll know that was a long time ago. At least, it feels like a long time ago. And that whole every day posting idea was something I tried to adhere to until a few months back. Things get in the way. Blogging hasn't been much of a priority for me lately. It's kind of sad because I really do enjoy it.

I've always said that if I could do anything for a career, it would be writing. It's something I genuinely enjoy doing and I've been told I'm good at it. Of course, Mom also tells me she thinks I'm cool, whatever that means. The point is, I really have missed logging onto my weblog to post humorous anecdotes on a regular basis. I've just gotten busy living life outside of cyberspace.

I'm hoping that, soon, I'll be able (or willing) to make room for both. I'm in my new apartment this weekend. I'll be spending a lot less time on the road. This will lead to a lot more time to do other things that I'm interested in doing. Not that I don't like driving. But, as I've said before, 3 hours a day just seems a bit excessive.

I'll never promise a daily post. Not anymore. There's just too much happening in the world around me. If I don't stop and look at it every now and then, I'll miss it (thanks, Ferris). And then, after I take those moments to stop and look around, maybe I'll find something interesting to write about. Maybe it'll be something thought-provoking. Maybe it'll be something that will make you laugh. Maybe... just maybe... it'll be something that'll make you cry. It could happen.

Stay tuned. I'm sure it'll get interesting.

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad blogs don't have a "like" button like Facebook. Just so you know we're reading and enjoy the writing. Often there is nothing to say in response to a blog post, but it was a great, funny, interesting, etc., read.

    Just saying...

    ReplyDelete