Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Technological Withdrawals

This morning, as I put Radford in my rear-view mirror heading to Floyd for work, I came to a horrible realization. I had left my phone at home.

By the time the thought occurred to me that my pocket was empty, I was already 10 minutes away from my apartment. I was on a very tight schedule. Well, not very tight, but it was a schedule nonetheless.

I was on my way to pick up one of the kids we work with. I had told him yesterday that I'd be picking him up at a specific time. If I'd decided to turn around to go back fro my phone, it would have made me about 20 minutes late picking the kid up. So I decided to let it go. I knew it would make my day a little difficult. I had no idea how difficult it would actually be.

It's a little sad, really. I never considered myself the kind of person who is addicted to his phone. After all, it's not as if I call people very often. In fact, I really don't like talking on the phone. I'm the kind of person who would much rather text than talk. There's a big part of me that doesn't even like calling my clients' parents on a weekly basis, as is required by the powers that be.

But today proved that I must be extremely addicted to my cell phone. No... I'm addicted to my smart phone. As the day began, things weren't so bad. I was busy working with the kids and had no problems not missing my phone. Then things started to slow down.

I was unable to check my email. I was unable to see what was going on over at Facebook. I was unable to update my status to let everyone know that I very nearly ran into a polar bear on the way to school this morning.

Okay, I didn't actually almost crash into a polar bear this morning. That would be ridiculous, right? A polar bear crossing a random back road in Floyd County? Not bloody likely. But from about 50 yards back as I came over a hill, it sure looked like a polar bear. The kid riding with me thought the same thing. We actually had a good laugh over it. In reality, I probably only believed it was a polar bear for about a second. Maybe not even a full second. It didn't take long to see it was a very large dog. But it makes a better story when one believes I almost hit a polar bear. Hey, if a polar bear can show up on the island on Lost, why can't there be one in the middle of Floyd County, Virginia?

Anyway, by the end of the day, I was literally shaking. Slow moments in the day, which would have normally been filled by checking my phone for various messages, were filled with the slow passage of time. And a great deal of leg shaking, as if I was extremely nervous about something. I don't want to go through that again. Although, maybe it would be really good for me to learn to live without the smart phone. I spent most of my life without one and I did just fine. But that's just crazy talk, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment