Friday, September 13, 2013

Really? Just One?

On Tuesday I put out the invitation for you guys to ask any question you wanted and I would freely answer it. Only one person had a question to ask. Or, what seems more likely, only one person actually read that post. So I'm answering that one question right now.

Diane asks:
Music is a big part of my life, writing is too. Writing helps me to release and music carries me away. When you are feeling the weight of the world what do you do to collect yourself? What would be your top 5 on your song list?

I can safely say that music has always been a big part of my life as well. According to my parents, I was singing as soon as I was talking. My first solo in church came at the age of three. I still remember the song too. And that's how I unwind. I sing. Well, I drive and listen to music. It doesn't matter how hard my day has been, that hour in the car is always enough to make it go away. I don't worry about taking work home with me. I'm able to leave it behind.

As for a top 5 in my playlist, that's hard to say. My mood changes and so does my taste in songs. What sounds awesome enough to listen to on repeat one day may bug the crap out of me the next. At any given time, the top 5 will always include songs that I can sing along with. At the moment, the top 5 are, in no particular order:
  • "Dream On," Aerosmith
  • "Barton Hollow," The Civil Wars
  • "Don't Stop Believin'," Journey
  • "One Day More," Les Miserables
  • "The Woman I Love," Jason Mraz

Okay, based on the fact that Diane is the only person who asked a question, evidence tells me that she's the only one who actually reads my blog anymore. Sure, Google Analytics tells me the number of people who view the blog every day. But for all I know, these people are clicking over, browsing the headline, then clicking away.

That being the case, I think I might quit. I've always said that the things I write here are more for me than anyone else. If that's true, why am I not just collecting my thoughts in a private Word document?

I know that I haven't exactly been keeping up with this thing on a regular basis like I once did. But I don't think that's the root of my lack of responders problem. Comments on my blog have been few and far between since I started it nearly 9 years ago. And I know that reading comments from readers should not be the end all and be all of blogging, but it's how I know that people are actually reading what I've written. It's how I know who's enjoying it and if it's even worth continuing.

This isn't me trying to throw myself a pity party. I don't want anyone to start leaving comments because you feel sorry for me or because you think I'm feeling sorry for myself. But if you're not commenting because you're not moved to respond or because you're not enjoying my random thoughts, then I have to question whether or not I'm wasting my time by posting things.

I don't expect to be an overnight internet sensation, like The Bloggess, who receives thousands of responses to her posts on a daily basis. But a few would be nice to see. A little affirmation now and then is good for everyone.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog posts Aaron, even when I don't comment on them! Maybe I should really leave a comment on one of them if you're feeling kinda down about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things.
    1. Don't stop.
    2. Consider moving your blog to Wordpress.com. There is a much more interactive community there, and I believe it's better for connecting with others.

    A few other thoughts:

    I've felt as you do many times. I know I write good content. Not tooting my own horn. I just know it. I spend a lot of time trying to write well to inform, encourage, and equip. I also write for fun and to make people laugh. I want to build a community through my blog. Yet the feedback and comments are few and far between at times. It's discouraging to get 20+ comments on some stupid picture I post on Facebook and then get none on a theological post on my blog. So I feel your pain.

    Yet, I'd encourage you to keep at it. And make sure you're linking to other blogs and leaving comments on other blogs as well. It's the old "you've got to be a friend to have a friend" in the blogosphere.

    Finally, don't give up. Keep plugging away. You'll be glad you've documented life, thoughts and current events one day or week at a time. Sometimes I'm surprised by how my blog actually encourages me as I peruse an old article as a result of a search. "Haven't I written on that before?" is usually how it begins.

    Hope this is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. I did go through a phase a couple years back where I was commenting on other blogs on a regular basis, hoping it would lead to more traffic. I didn't see a lot of difference, so I ended up cutting back on the comments I made, and even some of the blogs I kept up with. It just felt like I was putting forth a lot of effort without getting any return on the investment. I know that sounds selfish. These days, I do like leaving comments on others' blogs, but only when I feel like I've got something decent to contribute. And maybe I don't get comments here for the same reason. I don't like to leave comments in other places just for the sake of putting my name on something, I shouldn't expect people to do the same thing here. I really do appreciate the encouragement, and I don't really plan on quitting. I love writing too much. I guess it was just a vent session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll stop lurking for just a moment to say Please don't stop blogging. I've enjoyed reading your blog for several years now and although I wouldn't go into the deepest depression the world has ever seen, I would indeed miss reading your blog. I would also encourage you to post more of your creative writing such as you post on Sunday Scribblings. Even if you don't think so, I think most of your readers like your storytelling and would like to read more of your creative writing. Keep up the good work and now I'm going to slip back into lurking mode once again. At least for a while anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a few ideas floating around. I'm hoping to get them posted on here soon.

      Delete
  5. Before I met you I found your blog while procrastinating on my thesis... and loved it. I thought it was too creepy to follow it or comment. Now I know you! SO... don't stop blogging! I love the way you word things and your posts are very well written. I also enjoy the topics you elect to write about.

    Keep it up... I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... How long before you met me? Do you mean you came across it once you knew who I was just hadn't met me yet? Or that you randomly found it before you even knew I existed? 'Cause that would be awesome! No, it wouldn't be creepy to follow or comment. That, too, would have been awesome. But I understand. I won't quit yet.

      Delete