Sunday, February 02, 2014

I'll Never Get It

Okay. I gave it a shot. Of course, I'm talking about the Puppy Bowl. I'm sure there are a number of people who would claim that I didn't give it a fair shot, seeing as how I only sat through approximately 10 minutes of it (2 of which were commercials).

At least this one looks happy.
I don't understand why this is a thing. No, I take that back. I understand why it's a thing. I just don't understand why it's a thing that so many people like to watch. I'm sure the numbers are nowhere near the numbers seen by the people that calculate ratings for the Super Bowl. But it's enough that Animal Planet insists on airing this thing year after year. Going on 10 now.

To me, it looks like they took a bunch of random dogs, tossed them into a room designed to look like a football field, and gave them a bunch of random chew toys. Then they said, "Hey, let's film this thing!" I'm sorry, but this seems like the stuff that would make for a good YouTube video, not network television.

And the commercials weren't even that good. They're the same commercials you see on cable all the time. Including, but not limited to, the latest life changing invention that you can get five of if you call right now and just pay separate handling fees and Sarah McLaughlin ruining your day with images of abused animals in shelters... twice.

I guess I just don't like watching animals play human sports. Unless they're bears playing ice hockey. Seriously. They're bears. And they're playing hockey. It never stops being hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. Puppy bowl = way to entertain/torment my dog as she tries to make her way into the television to get to the pups. That's the only real entertainment value. You are welcome to borrow her to see if it makes it any more fun.
    As for the bears... I wonder how much they pay the ref that steps in at around 1:59??

    ReplyDelete