Saturday, February 01, 2014

The Second Month

Today was the first day of February. I don't have much of a blog post for that. I just have a question. How do you say it?

There's an R in the middle of that word. Do you pronounce it? Do you say "Feb-roo-ary?" Or do you say "Feb-yoo-ary?"

Most of the time, when I hear it and even when I say it, I don't pronounce that middle R. Is it meant to be a silent R? I feel like I should know things like that, being the kind of person who picks at people's grammar and pronunciation like it's my job. Just as my mother. She can't form a complete sentence without my giving her a hard time about something she's said.

How about it? How do you pronounce the name of the 2nd month of the year? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I totally make the "R" silent, but that doesn't sound like a rule I learned in grammar school. I'm curious to see what you find out.

    ReplyDelete