Monday, February 17, 2014

Why I Should Never Be On The Price Is Right

I love The Price Is Right. I usually find myself watching it whenever I'm at home on a weekday. I watched it during the summer when I was home from school as a kid. I watched it during college when I had a break during classes. It's just a fun kind of show. And I always thought it would be great to get on The Price Is Right and drop a disk on the Plinko board. I know there's no actual skill in that part of the game, but it always looks like great fun.

Thanks to the crazy winter weather we've been having this season, I've had plenty of opportunities to sit at home, not collect a paycheck, and watch TPIR. In all that time of watching the show, I've come to a very important realization. I should never attempt to get my name called to "Come on down!"

But why wouldn't I want to hear my name called out? What's wrong with George saying my name? Why would it be so bad to meet Drew Carey? Honestly, those parts would be okay. I'd be fine with making my way to contestants' row and taking a stab at the price of some fabulous prize. And I'm sure I'd remain calm about the whole experience, as long as someone doesn't bid a dollar more than I did. That really irritates me when people do that.

The part that bothers me about the whole experience? The hugs.

Don't get me wrong. I like a hug. I wouldn't necessarily describe myself as a "hugger." It's not my first instinct in greeting people. Even friends and family, more often than not. I will hug when the occasion calls for it. I'm just not the kind of person who feels the occasion calls for it much of the time. I've got to really want to be hugged in order to offer one up.

But you don't get much of a choice on The Price Is Right. Out of nowhere, people are hugging strangers left and right. I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable with that. I'm good with a high five. I might even be able to get past a pat on the back. But the hugging? No. I don't know you random person from UCLA. Just because we're sitting in the same television studio in an audience of several hundred does not mean that we are familiar enough for you to invade my personal space. Back off!

Most of the time, people who know me will generally avoid the attempt to hug me. I don't know if it's some kind of vibe I just give off that says "don't touch." There's a part of me that wishes that was different. Because there are times when I think a hug is a great thing and has a really good feeling that accompanies it. So when I do offer a hug, it seems strange and catches people off guard. But that's just the way it is. I'm not a hugger. Guess I'll have to live with that.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing reminds me of sick days like the Price is Right. And college. Because, you know, no other time did I skip as much class as in college- whoops!

    ReplyDelete