Monday, June 07, 2010

Groundhog Day

Yesterday as I was driving to church, I got stopped at a light behind the seminary that I once attended. Now, I feel like I need to paint a picture for those of you who are unfamiliar with what this area looks like. The light is at a T-intersection. The road that I was on is one that sort of wraps around the seminary's property, but that property is raised up a bit, maybe a couple feet at this spot.

So I'm stopped at the light. Out of the corner of my eye I notice something crawling out of the bushes on the other side of the stone wall/barricade. It was a groundhog, and it was in a hurry. It climbed over the wall and down to the sidewalk next to my car.

In the one or two seconds it took the animal to reach my car, my imagination went a little crazy. I imagined that the animal was going to climb into the open window on the passenger side of the car and ask me for a ride. No, I wasn't high. I've probably just seen Chronicles of Narnia one time too many.

In reality, the groundhog ran under my car and across the road without incident. But it did give me a good laugh for a while. Looking back, I guess it wasn't so much funny as it was odd and unexpected. Maybe the funny part was just my overactive imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment