Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blue

You know, there have been a lot of ups and downs over the last few months. Not to be a downer, but it kind of feels like the downs have outweighed the ups. I can live with that. But I won't lie, it's been kind of rough.

In short, the dream job that I accepted a few months back turned out to be less dreamy than initially expected. I've since chosen to accept another position with a different company. This new position is, in fact, an old position that I held years ago, pre-NC. As an added bonus, I'll be using my degree again. A welcome change.

In between jobs, I've been given some unexpected time off this week. On impulse, I decided to embrace my impromptu vacation and have visited Bluefield, the home of my alma mater.

Wednesday evening I made the trip up in time to have dinner with Mark, Andy, JMitch, and a few new friends that had made the trip from Richmond for a concert on campus. Once we finished our Mexican treats at La Fiesta, we attended the campus concert which featured All Sons and Daughters.

To describe this time as a concert would be completely inaccurate. I knew nothing about this duo before coming to Bluefield this week, so I had no expectations. I just made the decision to made the trip because I knew I'd get to see a lot of my old friends. So arriving in the Student Activities Center and participating in some genuine worship was a welcome event. It was something I desperately needed. God knew that and He used it.

Something else I needed? Time with friends that I haven't seen in years. Mark, Andy and JMitch I've seen recently, and I always have a good time. But there are others that are here in the Bluefield area that I haven't seen in several years. To catch up with them and share about where our lives are these days was just as much a blessing as singing praise songs with All Sons and Daughters.

I've always looked back on my time at Bluefield College with a fondness that will never go away. The friendships that I had in those days, in a lot of ways, are still strong. Some of these folks I stay in constant contact with. We email, we text, we talk on the phone. Others, I can go months, or even years without talking. But then, when we do talk, it's like no time has passed at all.

I cherish these friendships. And I thank God for them.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like a much need break from the blue. Makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete