Friday, September 14, 2012

AFI 56 - Jaws

Jaws
1975
Directed by Steven Spielberg
Netflix sleeve: Director Steven Spielberg virtually invented the summer blockbuster with this white-knuckle adaptation of Peter Benchley's novel about an insatiable great white shark that terrorizes the townspeople of fictional Amity Island. John Williams's legendary score punctuates the tension as the police chief (Roy Scheider), an oceanographer (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) seek to destroy the bloodthirsty beast.

Another film franchise that I didn't know much of as a kid. Jaws: The Revenge was the first of the series that I actually saw. And that movie sucked. I knew that much at the age of 10. I didn't sit through this Spielberg classic until I was an adult. I'm not sure what makes it such a classic, though. It's got some great lines. But it mostly exploits a fear of sharks; a fear that, in reality, is mostly irrational. I do like the scene on the boat where the guys are drinking and comparing scars. They're probably about to face the most dangerous day of their lives, but they laugh and cut up like their lives aren't about to be at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment