Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The List

As I've gotten older, I've almost decided that I'd like to eventually find a woman with whom I can spend the rest of my life. I say almost because I know I'm not ready yet. But it's something I'd like to build up to.

It's not something I'll Ted out about. But, like Ted Mosby, I do want to make an official list of what I'm looking for in a potential mate. Nothing wrong with knowing what I want, right?

By the way, that little reference to How I Met Your Mother won't be the last.
  • She's got to be attractive - Let's just get this one out of the way. I'm not saying I want to marry a super model. Though I wouldn't turn down Heidi Klum if she asked real nice. But she has to be someone that I will find attractive, even if others don't see it. Talking about physical attractiveness sounds shallow, but when we're honest about it, that's the first thing we notice. And if a girl I've never met doesn't get my attention, I'm not gonna approach her. Well, it's me, so odds are I won't approach her anyway. I won't go into what I do find attractive. My tastes have fluctuated over the years. Right now I'm kind of drawn to redheads. Not sure why. Though I think I blame Emma Stone.
  • She's got to be outgoing - At least, she has to be more outgoing than me. An extrovert would be a nice counterbalance to my introversion. Related to this, it would be awesome if she could seamlessly fit in with my circle of friends. Sure, it'd be nice if I fit in with her friends, but selfishly, I'm not as worried about those people whom I've probably never met before.
  • We need to like a majority of the same TV shows - Our lives together certainly won't be spent in front of the idiot box. But the thing is, eventually we will know all of each others' stories. When we run out of things to talk about, it'd be nice to talk about things we've seen on TV. This also applies to movies and books. Warning: I will discuss fictional characters and settings as if they actually exist. Be prepared to play along and/or debate.
  • She needs a willingness to negotiate - This could be useful for many areas of life including, but not limited to, what's for dinner, where we eat, who does certain chores, children's names, etc.
  • She has to play an instrument and/or sing - One of my favorite things to do is sing loudly when I'm driving somewhere. It would be nice to know that, if she's in the car with me, that we can nail the harmonies on "Endless Love" every time.
  • She has to be okay with the frequent high five - Ideally, we should be able to do an unplanned, no-look high five. Kind of like Marshall and Lily often do. That's another HIMYM reference for those following along.
  • She has to be a Christian - This is my last big item on the list and the most important one. While I have not been a regular church attender recently, my faith is still very important to me. I need to be with someone who will challenge me to grow. And I'd like to be able to do the same for her.
That's about it. But, ladies, if you really want to impress me, begin familiarizing yourself with the following. Note: this list is not definitive and is subject to change.
  • Back to the Future
  • Superman
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • Harry Potter
  • The Goonies
  • Star Wars
  • Community
  • Lost
  • Friends
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The works of Stephen King
  • The Hunger Games
  • Parks and Recreation 
Hating Twilight is not a requirement, but is a plus. And, two final notes. I am a dog person. It would be nice if she is as well. And as for the roll of toilet paper... it rolls over the top, not from underneath. This is non-negotiable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment