Thursday, September 27, 2012

Legends of Another Bank Teller

Source: companies.vn via Tên on Pinterest

Some time ago, I got a text message from the Most Awesome Person I Know asking for my opinion. She wanted to know if she had made a mistake after applying for a job as a teller at a bank. Needless to say, I was a bit taken aback.

We've been friends for some time. Most of that time, I was a bank teller myself. And she was my most frequent sounding board (other than this blog) for the frustrations I felt day in and day out as a teller. Did she learn nothing from my experience?

But I seriously considered her as a bank teller. Knowing her personality, I started to believe that she would be a lot better at the job than I was. My biggest issue with being a teller was the customer service portion of the thing.

I take that back. I was good with customer service. I could fake a smile with the best of them. Honestly, there were a handful of customers that I didn't have to fake the smile for. But it was a small handful. The rest of the time I faked it. Then I kicked my coin locker out of frustration because there was nothing I could do to affect the customers' stupidity. I'm sorry. That's the old me talking.

Anyway, I know that she is a much nicer person than I am. Or was. When I was a teller. So I told her as much. I told her that I didn't think it was a mistake to go for that kind of job. Because it's a job, which is something that's difficult to come by these days. It's the reason I stuck with it for as long as I did. So I told her it wasn't a mistake.

Selfishly, I'm hoping that I'll hear lots of insane stories about the array of customers that she will have to deal with. She's working at a different bank in a different part of Raleigh. That's a whole new demographic. It'll be a blog posting gold mine.

Granted, she has two of her own blogs. But those don't typically deal with hilariously frustrating stories about bank customers. I'm sure things could change and she could decide to write enthusiastically about the world of banking. But she's just not as sarcastic as I am. Which will also help her in the world of banking.

No comments:

Post a Comment