Friday, January 11, 2013

New Tales from Old Navy: The Post Holiday Non-Rush

The holidays are over. For many people in the world of retail, this means that things have ground to a halt. For me, I notice the slowness in my lack of a work schedule.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm still on the schedule. But recently, it's only been for one or two shifts per week. But the nights that I've gone in have been kind of dead. I'd use the term "silent as the tomb," but we still have music playing over the loudspeaker.

I led myself to believe that things would stay busy for a little while after Christmas, what with all the returns and all. Funny enough, there haven't seemed to be as many returns as I thought there would be.

I worked tonight and last night. On both of these nights, I walked into a store that was about as perfect as it could be. I was given the task of straightening up the women's sections of the store. To keep myself busy I ended up folding and refolding clothes that already looked okay to begin with.

Tonight I found out that I was one of the few holiday hires that will be staying on the schedule on a permanent part-time basis. That's a relief, knowing that I won't have to seek part-time employment elsewhere to help me out when the snow days eventually come and I can't work at the school. And the snow days will come. I will remain optimistic on that point.

Not everyone that was hired for the holidays will be sticking around. And some of those grapes are a little sour. So I'm just keeping my mouth shut while I'm in the store. No point in bragging that I get to keep working 10 hours a week while their jobs are disappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment