Monday, January 28, 2013

Question of the Week: Friendly Honesty

If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow this person to be your friend?

We'd probably be friends for life. Because that would mean that person is able to be brutally honest with me. I appreciate honesty. I may not always appreciate it at the moment it's delivered, but eventually I'll get around to appreciating it. Oscar Wilde said, "A true friend stabs you in the front." I've always taken this to mean that a real friend will be willing to say the things we need to hear, rather than say them to others behind our backs. A real friend is someone who won't just be there while we're smiling and having a swell time. A real friend is there for the worst of it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment