Monday, January 14, 2013

Question of the Week: Joy

What does your joy look like today?
 
This is a hard one for me. It's no secret that I'm not an emotional person. There are times when I wish I could easily express emotions. But don't mistake that for a lack of emotions. I absolutely feel things. Those feelings just aren't apparent externally. As far as joy goes, it's always there on some level. I've always thought of joy as a state of mind, more than a feeling. Sometimes it can manifest itself in the form of happiness, which is a fleeting emotion that is often based on circumstance. Someone may not always be happy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're lacking joy. Today, my joy looks like it usually does. It's under the surface of all the things I have to do today and my concern for a coworker who will have surgery this week. But I'm thankful that the source of my joy doesn't come from my circumstances, or from anything I can control. My true joy comes from God and it's always there, even when life tries to get in the way, or when I attempt to put life in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment