Friday, March 02, 2007

Playing Catch Up

Hey kids. I know... It's been a long time. Too long. Almost two years now. Wow, where does the time go?

Wanna play catch up? Let's do it!

I guess since the title of this blog is "The Single Guy," I should address the question "Am I still single?" Of course I am. That status hasn't changed even a little bit. Sure, other friends have gotten married over the course of the past 20 months. And just within the past two months, several have gotten engaged. But don't you worry. I'm stayin' strong.

I'm in a holding pattern right now. I'll begin my seminary years this fall. But in the meantime I'll be living here in Roanoke working a part-time temporary job, which will be good. Because I need a little stress as possible these days.

Now, what follows are some key passages from the place I've been blogging recently: MySpace.com

Originally posted 10/11/2006:

As some of you may or may not know, my dad passed away last Friday night. He was 53 years old.

Dad was a quiet, soft-spoken man. If you saw him in a crowd, it was probably from across the room and he was keeping to himself, especially if he didn't know a lot of people in that crowd. But if you really knew him, you knew him as a generous, caring, talented, and funny man.

Dad always had a way of making people smile. His sense of humor was unique to say the least. Growing up, he was always able to make me laugh, no matter how bad I was feeling. I could have been in the middle of crying about something awful and he would have me cracking up with tears streaming down my cheeks.

He was always helping other people out. He was ready at the drop of a hat to do anything he could to make someone else feel better. That's the kind of friend he was.

For the last few years of his life, his health was deteriorating, but he never missed a step. Though a weak heart caused him to retire early, he still remained active in his church. Though he was tethered to an oxygen tank 24/7 for nearly 3 years, he still sang with his choir, and performed solos, and led worship. He had a heart that sought to do the will of God, and he knew that God could still use him.

That was Dad. He loved his family and his friends. Most of all he loved God and had an amazing relationship with Him. Dad isn't here with us anymore, but I have no doubt about where he is. I have no doubt that Christ was able to say to Dad, "Well done my good and faithful servant." I'm sure he's still singing, probably showing the angelic chorus a thing or two.

I hope and pray that I will be a man like him: with even a tenth of his integrity, compassion, wisdom, and love. He will be missed by so many, but none of us will lack fond memories of Grayson Lee Peck.

Originally posted 1/18/07:

I like Grey's Anatomy. I think it's a pretty good show. But tonight's episode really hit home. It hit home hard. Almost like being slammed by a freight train.

If you haven't seen the episode and don't want the plot to be spoiled, then stop reading right now. I mean it, 'cause I'm gonna tell what happened.

George O'Malley's father has been a patient at Seattle Grace for the last several episodes, dealing with heart problems and cancer. Though his surgeries had been successful in prior episodes, his body couldn't handle the stress. Tonight, Dr. O'Malley and his family made the difficult decision to let him go instead of prolonging his suffering. I told you I was gonna reveal key plot points. You were warned, so don't get mad at me.

Dad has been gone for a little more than three months. But his absense still hurts. It's like this constant ache that never goes away. And some times, it's a sharp pain. Tonight was one of those times. I realize that the circumstances of my father's death and the death of a fictional television character were different, but I couldn't help but notice certain similarities.

I think George summed it up pretty well at the end of the show when he said, "I just can't imagine existing in a world where my dad doesn't." To which Christina responded, "That doesn't go away."

So now the tears have stopped and I am once again able to breathe. I miss him so much every day. Sometimes I feel like I'm just going to wake up from this horrible dream. I just keep waiting for someone to come along and pinch me.

I know those are somewhat depressing. But that's what life has been of late. And that's what people blog about. Life. So if you've been keeping up with me on MySpace, then you're up to date. Keep in touch kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment