Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LVI

Lunch time is now a mere half hour long.

Up until now I've been enjoying hour long lunch breaks. At my old branch, this left me with plenty of time to drive home for lunch where I would make a quick sandwich or two, inhale them, then hop in the car to get back to work. These days, a 45 minute commute makes such a feat impossible.

So what have I been doing with my daily hours off work? Well, I generally pack a lunch. It's certainly cheaper than hitting a drive-thru each day. Besides, the only nearby drive-thru is attached to a McDonald's. You can only survive on McNuggets and McCheeseburgers for so long.

Eating in the break room is a quick and simple matter. Usually I have leftovers from the previous night's dinner or I nuke a couple of hot dogs. This usually means I'm able to eat within a time frame of roughly fifteen minutes.

The rest of my hour is spent sipping on water and reading whatever book I happen to be reading that week. But in a quiet room with only my thoughts and a silent book to entertain me, that hour sometimes seems to drag on. And there are a lot of days that I'm just tempted to lay my head down on the table and fall asleep.

That will no longer be a temptation.

With half hour lunch breaks, I eat in half the time I'm there, then get a few pages read before heading back to work. It's not nearly enough time to even begin feeling fatigued.

So while many of my co-workers may be complaining about the shortened lunches, I am rejoicing.

Another perk: The extra 2 and a half hours added on to my work schedule means a day each week that I'll be going home early. Pretty freakin' sweet if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment