Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LVII

I've mentioned this girl before. She comes to my bank, I'd say, once or twice a week. And when she comes to the drive-thru, as opposed to strolling into the lobby, it just about makes my day.

Now, I don't complain when she comes to the lobby. But the odds of my being her teller of the day drastically decrease when she comes inside. So I like it much better when she pulls up in her big SUV.

It's her smile that gets me. I'm not sure what she's smiling at. Maybe she's just returning the smile that I'm required to give as a bank employee. I don't think it's 'cause she's got a thing for me. I mean, she's wicked hot. Hot girls, as a rule, don't generally smile at me.

My co-workers notice that I'm slightly nicer to this girl than to the typical customer. Thus, a hard time is generally given. Most of the time they wait until she drives off to let the light-hearted ribbing begin. Today, it began while she was still there. One of the lobby tellers asked if she needed to grab the window since there was someone at lane two. I laughed, but said I was pretty sure I could get it.

So here's my dilemma: I'm not sure what to call her. On her account, she has her first, middle, and last name. Checks that she deposits are made out with her first name. But on her deposit ticket, she writes her middle name. So I've thought that would be a good ice breaker. I've called her by her first and middle names in the past, but never at the same time. I figure I could ask what she prefers to be called. Or maybe that's creepy.

It was suggested by a co-worker that I ask her out by writing a note on the back of one of my business cards. Then if she wants, she can call me. If not, she doesn't have to feel like I've put her on the spot when she goes to say no.

That may be the way to go. I haven't been on a date or even asked a girl out since college. And the last one I did ask out said no. So maybe I should be more worried about what happens if she says yes. Not sure if I'd want to take a girl out in what passes for my car these days. Jade's falling apart.

Okay, she's not really falling apart, but she's getting old. She's making noises that she didn't use to make. Not exactly impressive on a first date.

Then again, if I were to take her to dinner or something, I wouldn't want to be one of those guys the tries to impress a girl with lies. I'd hope I'd be comfortable enough to be myself. I mean, eventually she'd find out that I'm quickly on the way to driving a clunker.

So, any other ideas? Is the business card thing good? Seriously, been a long time. We're talking, tail end of the Clinton years, maybe Bush's first 100 days...

2 comments:

  1. First big thing...try and make sure she is single

    I wouldn't do the card note, because you are passing the first move to her. This is a tough one, because you can't just ask her out at work.

    My advice is to Pray that you meet her somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Mark. If an employee of a business I frequented asked me out (no matter how subtle or non-confrontational the method) and I wasn't interested for whatever reason, that would make that weekly visit suddenly very awkward.
    Maybe start smaller with a little harmless flirting. Throw some compliments her way, but I definitely wouldn't ask her out (especially at work) unless you had a good feeling she was interested first.
    But then, I'm also never a fan of the asking someone out based on physical attractiveness thing. I prefer to know more about someone before agreeing to spend time alone with them. Values, interests, etc.
    I mean, this girl could be a ridiculously hot Nazi. =)

    ReplyDelete