Friday, July 31, 2009

Question of the Week: The Button

You and a person you love deeply are placed in separate rooms with a button next to each of you. You know that you will both be killed unless one of you presses your button before 60 minutes pass; furthermore, the first to press the button will save the other person, but will immediately be killed. What do you think you would do?

Can we see each other? Can we speak to each other? I know we're in separate rooms, but is there a real wall or is it a window that's separating us? Either way I'm pretty sure I'd press the button. If she's someone that I really love, then I would easily sacrifice my life for hers. It'd be nice if there was a way to speak to one another, kind of like the scene in The Dark Knight, just before Harvey became Two-Face. Then we'd get a chance to say all those things that we've been holding back. But that should be a lesson. Don't hold back. Say what you mean right away, you may not get another chance.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment