Saturday, January 09, 2010

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXIX

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Back in October, I mentioned that I no longer needed to wear a tie to work. That little vacation is now over.

A little background: My boss has a new boss. And his boss also had a new boss. The chain of command in our bank's region has been shaken up just a bit. Apparently we, in the great state of North Carolina, have been doing things a little bit differently than the rest of the corporate footprint. The boss' boss' boss has come to town and is ready to assimilate our local branches. Resistance is futile.

Most of the changes will not affect your friendly neighborhood bank teller. We at the bottom of that particular barrel will feel very few of the shockwaves. But my boss will fell the changes in a greater way. He went to a meeting with his new boss last Monday. He reported back to the peons on Tuesday. He sat me down and spoke with me first, because he knew that the real news he was reporting would affect me much more than anyone else.

The tie was making a comeback.

But that's not the worst part of this news. Back when I wore the tie to work, I enjoyed wearing fun ties. Nothing too serious. I like the ties that feature Looney Tunes, Classic Disney characters, and comic book super-heroes. I will be allowed to wear those ties, nevermore.

But even that's not the worst part of this news. I can handle a serious tie. I've got a few that I can work into the rotation. I won't like it, but I can deal with it. No, the worst part is the elimination of casual Friday.

Shock and awe.

So this means, five days a week... tie. Serious tie. Anything less would be considered "unprofessional" by the powers that be.

But I ask, what of the women in the bank? Will they be forced to step up their fashion game? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is little difference between what my female coworkers wear from Friday to any other day of the week. Fridays don't seem any more casual for them than Wednesdays. Wednesdays don't seem any more formal than Fridays. I'm just saying... doesn't seem fair.

4 comments:

  1. I would die without casual Friday!!!

    What do you mean about the women's outfits? The only thing I change on Friday's are my pants to jeans. But I still wear nice tops and stuff because I think we have to lol. Do the women where you work wear too casual tops during the week too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that what my female coworkers wear during the week or on Fridays should be considered unprofessional. Not by a long shot. I'm just saying I don't see any difference between their version of formal and casual. And jeans have always been a no-no for us. But it was nice to have one day set aside where I could wear a decent polo shirt without a noose around my neck. I've got this polo with the bank's logo on it that I'm sure I'll never wear again. Can't think of a reason why I'd want to wear it out when I go to the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HMMM. Maybe you should suggest that everyone (women included) where the polo and pants as sort of a uniform. That would be professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it just sucks and I can't for the life of me see how it will make any difference in the bank. Sounds like your boss's boss's boss is a poop.

    ReplyDelete