Friday, July 02, 2010

Question of the Week: All the Trimmings

If you were at a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner and you found a dead cockroach in your salad, what would you do?*


Well, first, I think the most important thing to do would be to call the health department. I think it's fairly obvious that this is not the kind of place that my friends should be living and dining on a regular basis. No, really, I'd probably jump backwards out of my chair, possibly scream like a girl, and then flip my salad plate over, throwing pieces of lettuce and onions all over the nice table. Salad dressing would splash all over the old lady next to me. I'd tip over the wine glass, staining that beautifully embroidered tablecloth that had been passed down for 7 generations. It would be pandemonium. Once everything had calmed down, I would make some kind of quip, like, "At least it wasn't a live cockroach!" Everyone would laugh and we would carve the turkey. And it would be a story that would be passed down through the ages. I think it would surpass that tired old tale of the Pilgrims and that big boat the sailed over on.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

1 comment:

  1. It depends, if I screamed... then I would have to explain. If I contained my scream, I might cover it up and just not eat the salad.

    ReplyDelete