Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Single Guy and the Misplaced Hope

He was starting to lose hope. Actually, the Single Guy was starting to wonder if he should have ever held out hope in the first place.

It had been over a week since he had seen the Girl in the White SUV. And that last visit from her was nothing special. Just a typical transaction with no memorable dialogue. In fact, he had received no encouragement from her since she thanked him for the card he had sent so many months ago. She never returned his phone call regarding an appointment for a hair cut. She never responded to the note he passed her on the back of his business card.

And so, as pathetic as it may be, he decided to put out a call for advice from the readers of his blog. He's thought about sending another letter as a last ditch effort. Then again, he's thought about giving up all together. After all, he is hoping for an out of town move in the near future. So the question remains: persevere or move on?

What do you think, America? This is your chance to shape the Single Guy's romantic future... or lack thereof.

6 comments:

  1. I think you need to ask her for a date or let it go. You have made several attempts in a non-direct way. You also get the experience of asking a girl out to her face and it will become easier for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything worth having is worth taking a risk for. Being an introvert myself, I know it won't be easy. But in the future, you don't want to regret never having done it, right?

    Sorry, I know I don't know you and have no business in your personal life. But you asked America, and I'm an American. So for the good of our country....go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri, don't worry about not knowing me. As often as you read this blog, there's a good chance you know me better than a lot of people in real life. I appreciate the comments and the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, old friend, here are my thoughts:

    1. You may be moving (hopefully) very soon;
    2. She is apparently gorgeous;
    3. You two are clearly more than just polite with each other; and
    4. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

    I would ask her out on a date and use the possible move as a door-opener, ie: "I'm looking to move to [some place much more awesome, maybe Greenville, SC], but before I go I would love the opportunity to take you out for a nice dinner and hopefully get to know you a little better after [however much time you have spent pining, years?]. I would kick myself if I never asked."

    That would take all of the ambiguity out of the situation and you'll get either flatly rejected or a wonderful experience. Either way, you'll be gone soon so what does it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...I am sure you DON'T really want your mothers' opinion... however, as any good mother would do... here it is anyway!
    ASK HER OUT!! As your responders have said, you have NOTHING to lose or EVERYTHING to gain. It is my personal opinion that if she says no...it is her loss!!!!!
    Go for it son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE TO SAY..."SHES JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU!" I KNOW IT MAY SEEM HARSH OR WHATEVER BUT I JUST DONT SEE THE POINT IN ASKING HER OUT, UNLESS YOUR A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT. YOU HAVE MADE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO CONTACT THIS GIRL, RIGHT? AND SHE HAS MADE 0 ATTEMPTS TO RETURN THE FAVOR RIGHT? SO WHY PUT YOURSELF THROUGH A FACE TO FACE REJECTION?? I DONT THINK THE EXPERIENCE IS WORTH IT. TRUST ME...
    OF COURSE THIS IS JUST AN OPINION, DO WHAT YOU WILL AND KEEP US ALL INFORMED.

    ReplyDelete