Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Answer to My Question

I follow a number of websites around the internet on a regular basis. These range from blogs written by people simply making observations about life, much in the same way this blog is kept, to legitimate news sites that keep me updated on how far the studio has come in making The Green Lantern film a reality. Most of these blogs and websites to which I subscribe, I do so through another page called Bloglines. Other blogs I simply follow through Blogger, the good people that host my own blog. I think I've used the word blog way too much. Sadly, it's not over.

All of that was to say that I follow a fellow blogger who calls himself the Badass Geek. I'm waiting for the sudden collective intake of breath to subside. "Did he just post the word 'badass' on this otherwise family-friendly blog?" Yes, I did. I know that I generally keep things clean, and that I have, in the past, asked commenters to also keep things clean. That policy hasn't changed. But I've never claimed that the content of this blog would be strictly G-rated. In fact, I'm fairly certain that a number of the stories I've shared here could garner the PG-13 if they had been filmed and reviewed by the Motion Picture Association of America.

Anyway, this Badass Geek fella, he seems to be a lot like me. I mean, his blog is mostly about the observations that he makes in life and the fun that he can poke at the little things. His humor is definitely the kind of humor that I can appreciate. Recently, he did the kind of thing that I've done once or twice before (and am probably due to do again soon). He opened the opportunity for his readers to ask him any questions they wanted by leaving him comments. So I asked him the question, "How did you get such a high readership?" That's not verbatim. But see, he's got a lot of regular readers and a lot of regular commenters. And I'll admit, I'm a little jealous.

I'm not saying that I'm not extremely delighted to have the 18 followers that I have. Number 18 just joined up sometime last night. Whenever I see that number go up I pretty much get giddy. It's really exciting to think that someone new is interested in reading something that I've written. After all, more often than not, this blog simply contains the cynical ramblings of a bitter old man. And I'm not even that old. But when I see other blog-keepers who have hundreds of followers that hang on their every post, I can't help but wonder if I'm doing it wrong.

The Badass Geek was kind enough to answer my question and his advice made sense. Mostly it involves getting involved in other blogs. That means getting down into the trenches of these blogs that I follow and start commenting myself. If I start making my voice heard in something as small as a comment on someone's random post, maybe they (or one of their own readers) will decide to click on my name and see what my own blog is all about. I mentioned that I follow a lot of blogs, but most of the time I'm merely a spectator. I like to read what people are saying and I like to laugh after a long day at work.

Shoot over to his site and read his answer. And read the other questions and answers. Check out some of his other posts too. He really is quite funny. But I will warn those of you who were taken aback by my use of the word "badass," the Badass Geek does not shy away from using the strong language that I so often censor in my own writing. So if you can get past that, have fun with it. He's got a lot of good stuff. Happy blogging!

5 comments:

  1. That's very well said! Now I'm a fan of you and The Badass Geek. You are two prime examples of what blogging is all about. :D

    I expect cool posts from your blog from now on. Happy blogging! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check in about 4-5 times a week to see what you're writing about. Figured I ought to go ahead and offically "follow" you rather than just lurking. I guess I am now 20....woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. found your blog through a friend's blog - although I just started reading it I wanted to tell you that I like your style of writing. The whole thing about posting on other people's blogs works but it also works the other way too - if you stop posting people stop posting on your blog. I had a family reunion and it took a lot of my blogging time so a lot of people just seemed to stop posting on my site - the funny thing is that when I look at the number of readers it didn't really change much, so people kept reading but stopped posting - sorry for the long comment here. Take care and keep up the good work. I'm off to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining up guys. Hope I can keep things at least somewhat entertaining.

    ReplyDelete