Friday, August 13, 2010

Question of the Week: Honestly

If your friends and acquaintances were willing to bluntly and honestly tell you what they really thought of you, would you want them to?

I'm a big fan of honesty. If someone doesn't like me, or doesn't like something about me, I want to know about it. That doesn't mean I'm gonna change who I am, it probably just means I'll put a little more thought into whether I want that person to continue being a friend and/or acquaintance. That might sound mean, not wanting to be friends with someone just because they don't like something about your personality, but I think it makes sense. Who wants to be friends with someone that doesn't like them? I don't want to call someone a friend if they're just going to merely tolerate me. Wait... is that what you guys do? Do you guys just barely put up with me? I know I can be really sarcastic sometimes. But I swear, it's only when I'm breathing. Great... now I have insecurity...

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

3 comments:

  1. yes, there are some people that may not really have great things to say about me. but there is only a handful of people that i would actually care, listen and re-evaluate. as much as would hate to hear it, the relationship may benefit from the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Aaron. But mine's a little different. I don't like this one friend of mine so I broke all connections with him. He annoys the hell off me now (he was okay back then) and I think it would be unfair to me or him if I continued calling him 'friend' when the mere sight of him online on Facebook is enough to irritate me.

    It's still a bit sad though. I've known him for a year.

    ReplyDelete