Monday, May 23, 2011

AFI 82 - Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
1927
Directed by F. W. Murnau
Netflix sleeve: Director F.W. Murnau's emotional odyssey stars George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor as a country couple whose marriage is threatened when O'Brien falls prey to cosmopolitan temptress Margaret Livingston's feminine wiles. Imbued with an intoxicating ambiance in style and substance, the lyrical silent film--which is, by turns, quixotic, blissful, sensual and terrifying--chalked up Academy Awards for Best Actress (Gaynor) and Best Cinematography.

I'm not sure what there is to say about this movie. Maybe it was the lack of speaking, but I kind of found this one a little hard to follow. I guess I can't really say I'm a fan of the silent picture. Absolutely not in my personal top 100. And there's a pretty good chance I'll never put myself through watching this movie again. Ever. And I don't mean to offend anyone who does enjoy this movie. It's just not for me.

1 comment:

  1. interestingly enough, I love this movie.

    Saw it in my film history class at VT on the big screen and was amazed that a non speaking movie could move me as much as this one did.

    the story is told through the music, the sets and even the shadows.

    amazing movie.

    j "you should watch it again" h

    ReplyDelete