Thursday, May 19, 2011

AFI 83 - Titanic

This movie sat at the top of my Netflix queue for a month before I realized they were never going to send it to me. "Very Long Wait" was all they would tell me. What, do they only have one copy? Is it still that popular 14 years later? Luckily, my mother happens to own this DVD, so I got her to mail it to me just so I could watch it. So, thanks Mom! And if anyone out there has a copy of Ben-Hur that they'd like to let me borrow, it would get me up to date on this whole AFI list. Thus far, anyway.

Titanic
1997
Directed by James Cameron
Netflix sleeve: Winner of 11 Oscars, James Cameron's effects-driven blockbuster puts a human face on a tragedy of epic proportions by wedding the historical tale of the doomed ocean liner with a fictional romance between two of the ship's ill-fated passengers. Society girl Rose Dewitt Bukater (Kate Winslet) and penniless artist Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) struggle to survive both the sinking ship--and the wrath of Rose's wealthy fiance (Billy Zane).

And good Lord I forgot how very long this movie was. I mean... holy crap... It's exhausting just watching it. And what the heck was that old version of Rose thinking? Why would you throw that diamond into the ocean? Why didn't you hock that thing during the Depression? Stupid. You know, this movie's never really done much for me. I remember so many people making such a huge deal about it back when it was first released. I couldn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. It's not that I think it's a bad movie. I think it's all right. I just don't think it's great or life-altering. And I've never understood the point of Kate Winslet's nude scene. Not that I'm trying to be a prude or anything, I just don't get what it has to do with the story. I mean, is it just an incredible show of trust on Rose's part? Anyway, I thought that watching the whole thing again after a decade has passed, I may have gained a better appreciation for Titanic. Didn't happen. Maybe I'll like it better in another ten years. Doubtful.

4 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    It is a wonderful movie....
    The nude scene is about trust and that he had done others. Also, he was trying to be similar to the great artist's of which she liked. It was all about getting the girl then. It worked also.
    They were also saying that love happens no matter what your social status is. The old Rose was returning the "Heart of the Ocean" back to it's home.... Not sure what other reason their was.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nude scene was hot. And I'm a chick.

    Rose is the epitome of female beauty. No stick thin models on this ship, no no no!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a prude when it came to the nude scene. Maybe I was just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that it's a PG13 movie. And while I'm being honest, I do think that Kate Winslet is pretty hot, so from a purely male standpoint, I really am not complaining. And I really don't fault anyone for loving this movie, I just happen to not love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this movie is JUST LIKE AVATAR in my opinion.

    it's only amazing because at THE TIME OF THE RELEASE. cameron was doing things with special effects and his cameras that nobody else was doing.

    THAT'S what made this movie good.
    NOTHING ELSE.

    besides, it's really hard to watch that old lady throw that priceless rock back into the ocean.

    come on! so selfish.

    j "ugh" h

    ReplyDelete