Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How Soon Is Too Soon?

I love Christmas music. I really do. There are a lot of songs that are played during the holiday season that make even my heart grow three sizes thanks to some pretty incredible nostalgia.

But I was a little concerned when I turned the radio on this past weekend and heard the local station was already playing the non-stop Christmas music.

I immediately switched to a CD.

But wait, didn't I just say I loved Christmas music? Yes. Yes, I did. But I am certain that if I listen to the Christmas music non-stop for two months, I'll grow tired of it before Christmas actually comes.

Look, there are only so many Christmas songs that these radio stations play. And of those songs, there are only so many different versions from different musical artists. As is the case with the current songs topping the charts, you end up hearing the same 10 songs 30 times a day.

So I'm boycotting the radio for a couple weeks. At least until after Thanksgiving. At that point I think I'll be better prepared for Christmas music on a regular basis. I'm cynical enough as it is. I don't want to become tired of something that's supposed to be joyful, that seems counterproductive.

3 comments:

  1. I sing silent night at least 30 times a day. It's one of the only songs that calms Taylor when she's crying.

    Sadly, I only know the first verse so the song gets REALLY annoying REALLY fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot the other part.... "for two months"....and the part after that..."c'mon man, FUNK DAT"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am whole-heartedly with you. No Christmas music, decorations, food or anything until ATLEAST the day after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete