Friday, November 25, 2011

Question of the Week: Touch

When you are with your friends, do your interactions include much touching--for example, hugging, kissing, roughhousing or rubbing backs? Would you like to have more of this?

No. Absolutely not, no. And I'm perfectly okay with not having more of this. I'm the kind of person who really enjoys that personal space. You know, that protective bubble that surrounds the body. I like that. I'm not a touchy-feely kind of guy. Now, I really don't mind the occasional hug. In fact, I'm fine with hugging a friend in greeting or when saying good-bye. Beyond that, I grow uncomfortable. I knew this guy in college who would greet people sitting in the cafeteria by coming up behind them and squeezing their shoulders while saying hi. I cringed every time he walked into the room, because I knew what was coming.

Maybe, someday, I'll be able to open myself up to being a little more touchy-feely. But I have a feeling that's a long way off and it will involve some significant help from a significant other that is yet to enter the picture.


*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment