Friday, November 18, 2011

Question of the Week: A Van Gogh Kind of Life

Would you rather be happy yet slow-witted and unimaginative or unhappy yet bright and creative? For example, would you rather live the life of a brilliant yet tortured artist such as Vincent van Gogh, or that of a happy but carefree soul who is a bit simple-minded?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be a happy idiot. The thing is, if I was slow-witted and unimaginative, I wouldn't really realize it, would I? There's a reason they say that ignorance is bliss. If I'm a brilliant kind of person and I'm unhappy about it, I'm only going to become more unhappy due to my awareness of my unhappiness. It would be an endless cycle of depression. Give me the simple life.

As it is, I'm pretty happy with my current state of brilliance.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment