Monday, November 07, 2011

Zombie Apocalypse

I've never really considered myself a fan of the zombie sub-genre of the horror genre. I've never seen the original Night of the Living Dead or any of the copy cat films it spawned. In fact, I'm fairly certain the first traditional zombie movie I saw was probably Shaun of the Dead a few years back. And I thought it was okay, but it really didn't rock my world or make me crazy about zombie movies in general.

And then I saw Zombieland a few months ago. I kind of thought it was awesome. But that's not the point of this post.

The point that I've been trying to get to is the awesomeness that is AMC's The Walking Dead. Have you seen this show? Okay, if you don't like zombie stuff, you probably won't like it. But do you know for sure that you don't like the zombie genre? Give it a shot, maybe you'll like it.

The thing is, it's not just about a zombie apocalypse. It's about the people trying desperately to survive a zombie apocalypse. I guess it could be argued that most zombie movies are about the regular people that are still around when the dead rise. But with a TV series, we're able to really examine these people's lives and how they react to the world falling apart around them.

The show is based on a comic book series. Of course, this speaks to the comic book geek that resides somewhere inside my soul. Apparently, this series has been around for a while, but since it's published by a company that isn't DC Comics, I really didn't know it existed. Now I know and I kind of love it.

I've started reading the trade paperbacks collecting the early issues of The Walking Dead. The story is slightly different from the way things have progressed on the TV show, so I'm able to read things without really knowing what's going to happen next. And, when I get caught up to where they roughly are on the show compared to where I've read in the graphic novels, it's different enough that the show will still surprise me with each new episode.

BTW... Last night, after the new episode of The Walking Dead, I watched the live reaction show, Talking Dead. One of the guests was a guy from the Zombie Research Society. Yeah, it's a real thing. And yeah, they truly believe that a zombie apocalypse is a true threat to humanity. The way governments and researchers mess around with viruses and biological weapons, apparently it could happen.

Time to start preparing, people. My plan: rent a storage unit nearby and start filling it with useful things like bottled water, canned goods, candles, flashlights, batteries, etc. You know, end of the world stuff. Also, it's time to take that archery class I've always wanted to take. It will be nice to be handy with a weapon of some kind when the attacks begin.

5 comments:

  1. I like your plan, and thanks for watching Talking Dead. I had a great time on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband HUGE zombie enthusiast. He has read the Zombie Survival Guide and has strategies prepared and everything.

    RE: The Walking Dead...I've been finding the series a tad slow. I think it's because I'm not invested in any characters. Plus there hasn't been a lot of zombies lately. Boo.

    And yeah, Zombieland rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, yay! I'm glad you're all caught up. Welcome to the awesomeness.
    The Zombie genre in general was not something I ever cared about, but Leo likes it, so, since it was one of the few horror genres that didn't absolutely horrify me, I started watching the movies with him. I think I've liked most. 28 Days Later is probably the best of the serious ones, but agree, Zombieland was made of awesome.
    It's always the lives and choices of the survivors that intrigues me, so I most like the parts withOUT the zombies, while Leo perks up every time the walkers appear on the scene. Either way, I'm enjoying our new Sunday night tradition. It makes the end of the weekend something to look forward to.
    Also, I've been having LOTS of zombie dreams of late. Luckily hubs is Mr. Preparedness, even in my dreams. I think I might be SMART enough to stand a chance, but I would probably have to hole up and get other people to go out and bring me stuff. As I'm weak in that whole. . . well, weakness area. So, I like your stockpiling plan. And maybe I should follow Fergie's advice and start "workin' on mah fitness."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and congrats on having a "celebrity" commenter. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I saw his comment and geeked out a little. Okay, a lot.

    So, to Matt: Thanks for stopping by and reading!

    ReplyDelete