Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Sneaky Valentine

I've never been a huge fan of the Valentine's Day. I've just never seen the point. But I've never actually been "in love." So I guess that means I kind of miss the point. But even if I was "in love" I really don't think I'd be too keen on one special day to show someone you love them just because Russell Stover tells me I should. I don't like being told when I can and can't celebrate my love for someone.

Anyway, I didn't go into this thing to complain about Valentine's Day or talk about how I really feel about February 14. No, this is about the ridiculous commercial I've heard on the radio over the last couple days.

It's for some kind of warehouse sale. I'm not sure what company it's for, and even if I did know, I wouldn't mention it here, simply because I wouldn't want to give them any extra advertisement. I know there are only a handful of people out there in the Roanoke area who will read this, but still, I don't want them making any more money off this stupid ad.

It starts out with a guy warning everyone (and by everyone I mean men) that, even though there have been lots of warnings, Valentine's Day has snuck up on us again.

Honestly, I tune out the commercial after this initial announcement. Because, really, did Valentine's Day sneak up on anyone? It's the same day every year. It's listed on all those calendars that people buy at the beginning of the year. How is that considered sneaky at all?

I can completely understand someone forgetting a birthday. Yes, those do come around annually. But they're not marked on every single calendar that you come across on a daily basis. Also, birthdays aren't being prepared for by every store in the world hanging pictures of birthday cakes and party hats, the way they decorate for Valentine's Day in the middle of January.

The problem isn't that people forget that Valentine's Day is happening. They just procrastinate. Also, they put too much importance on the day. Expectations are way too high. And so when a significant other doesn't deliver, it turns into a fight. It just seems so exhausting.

Why do people fight over such stupid things? I really haven't had experience in the relationship game. I mean, other than watching all the relationships that have come and gone all around me. But it seems to me that people fight over stupid things because there's something deeper that they aren't willing to confront. Again, it just seems really exhausting.

If I ever decide to seek out a girlfriend, I really hope we're able to communicate about stuff and not just let things fester under the surface until we end up arguing because I bought her the wrong kind of flowers on Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

  1. i think women put too much emphasis on this particular day.

    it's annoying.

    they want romance but the problem with romance is that it will never be be what they imagined or what they see in the movies.

    pathetic.

    i, for one, like valentine's day for one reason. russell stover makes chocolate, caramel marshmallow candy and they have different shapes for different holidays. They do hearts on valentine's day and that's what does it for me.

    so tonight, tj and i will eat dinner, watch a movie and i will suck back a few of those suckers.

    pure bliss.

    also, seeing as how i'm NOT unhappy with my relationship on the other 364 days of the year probably also has something to do with my "no need for VD" stance.

    the holiday or otherwise

    ZING!

    j "i seriously love that candy" h

    ReplyDelete