Thursday, February 16, 2012

Special K

I've made it no secret that I recently started a new job. I hesitated to still refer to it as a "new" job. Tomorrow I'll complete my third week in this counseling position. And it's kind of awesome.

I'm not too sure I've really described what I'm doing. For the purposes of confidentiality, there isn't really much that I can say about it. Basically, I'm working with a handful of students in an elementary school. This means I spend a chunk of my day inside a classroom full of kindergarten kids.

Have you ever spent any significant amount of time with a class of kindergarteners? Until a couple weeks ago, I hadn't. In fact, my only exposure to kindergarten (aside from that time when I was 5 years old) has been the Schwarzenegger classic Kindergarten Cop.

That being said, I wasn't too sure what to expect. Now, I'm not a teacher. But I am in there with these kids. I've gotten to know each of their names and they now know me as another grown-up that's present throughout the day. They know I'm not their teacher, but they recognize me as having at least some authority. In reality, I have no authority over the vast majority of them. However, by virtue of being an adult, they see me as someone with authority.

You have no idea how tempted I am to tell them to "TAKE THE TOY BAHCK TO THE CAHPET!" But I haven't. But if anyone ever tells me that a headache may be a tumor, I will tell them it's "NOT A TUMAH!"

On the plus side, I have managed to learn some very informative mnemonic devices that help me to remember the days of the week as well as each day's weather. I've had the "Days of the Week" song stuck in my head for three days. I can't get it out. It's gonna be real awkward when I start singing it in public one day.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I quote "It's Not a Tumah!" on a regular basis. Seriously.

    Does that make me awesome?? Yes, I think it does. :)

    ReplyDelete