Friday, December 14, 2012

Sandy Hook

I'm not an emotional person. I generally don't get excited over the joyous times in my life. I don't weep over a lot of the mournful times in my life. But as I write these words, I have tears sliding down my cheeks. I'm overwhelmed with sadness, anger and confusion.

There are no words that can make sense of this senseless situation. I'm sitting in my room with the television on, the news continually washing over me. I watch as reporters try their best to make sense of a senseless situation.

I work in an elementary school. I work with small children each and every day. I'm having an incredibly difficult time separating the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut from the kids I've come to know this school year.

Over the coming days and weeks, our holiday season will be haunted by the question why. And there's a very good chance that we'll never get the answers to many of the whys that will be brought up.

My heart breaks for the community of Newtown and the families touched by this catastrophe. Pray for those families. Pray for the survivors. Pray for the investigators. Pray for your own children and others' children across the country who will also attempt to make sense of a senseless situation.

I'm not a parent. If you are, hug your kids a little bit tighter tonight. Tell them just how much you love them. Let them know how special they really are.

1 comment:

  1. This tragedy will hurt me to the core for a very very long time.

    ReplyDelete