Monday, August 12, 2013

Question of the Week: Stealing

Is stealing to feed a starving child wrong?

That's an interesting question that I feel was answered in large part by Les Miserables. Jean Valjean spent nearly 20 years in prison because he stole a loaf of bread because his nephew was starving to death. While the law says that it's wrong to steal for any reason, we don't exactly live in a black and white world. There are so many shades of gray. And there are other colors, as well. The point is, in a black and white kind of situation, wrong is wrong. But it's also wrong for an innocent child to suffer of starvation, right? If I was on a jury tasked with determining the guilt or innocence of a thief who did the deed in order to feed a starving kid, I'd probably have to vote not guilty. Then I'd go all 12 Angry Men on the rest of the jury 'til they came around to my way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment