Thursday, August 15, 2013

Two Truths and a Lie

I know a lot of people don't like icebreakers. Some may think they're a cheesy way to get to know people. But I love them. There's a part of me that really enjoys being put on the spot to answer random questions. My favorite is the "Two Truths and a Lie" icebreaker that seems to be really popular at random gatherings. It probably says a lot about me that I find it easier to come up with lies than truths.

Anyway, I'll list two truths and a lie below. It's up to you to figure out which one is the lie. If I get 10 people to leave a comment with their guess, I'll reveal which is the lie. If not, it will remain a mystery! But that shouldn't be too hard, right? 10 comments out of 56 followers? Totally doable.

1) When I was in kindergarten, I got trapped at school during a really bad flood. For a while I thought I would have to spend the night there. It's the only time in my life that I had to eat dinner at school. Most of the evening was spent in the classroom watching videos in an attempt to distract us from the devastation happening outside the window. It didn't work. In my mind, I can still see homes from the nearby trailer park floating by the playground equipment.

2) Around that same time of life, I heard the biblical story of Samson for, probably, the first time. I convinced my parents to stop cutting my hair because I was certain I would obtain superhuman strength. Once my hair started to get pretty shaggy, I decided to test my theory. Unfortunately, I was unable to lift my dad's LeCar over my head. I couldn't even budge the thing. In my disappointment, I found scissors and cut my own hair. Got in pretty serious trouble for that last part.

3) When my great grandmother passed away, we made the long drive to Nashville for the funeral. My sister and I got bored, so we went exploring around the funeral home. We came across a door marked EMPLOYEES ONLY, behind which we heard some disturbing sounds. April asked what the noise was. Being her older and wiser big brother, I told her that was where they cut the legs off the people and that's why they never open the bottom half of the casket. She cried and cried. But later, I'm pretty sure she thought it was a funny joke.

What's true? What's false? Make your guess in the comments below and if I get enough interest, I'll give the right answer.

BTW, I almost said, as my lie, that my favorite book was Twilight. But I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

4 comments:

  1. i say 1 and 3 are true.

    jh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also say 1 & 3 are true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sir, those are some pretty detailed stories. I'm going to go with number 3 being the lie, just to change, things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm agreeing with the masses - #2 is the lie.

    ReplyDelete