Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXI

I began working at my current branch back in April. At the time I discovered that my commute would be about 45 minutes each morning. That's factoring in the ridiculous traffic on Capital Blvd. And so, for the past five months, as a rule, I've left my apartment roughly 45 minutes before I needed to be at work each day.

Today a new kink was thrown in. Today was the first day of school. Back in April, we were winding down to the tail end of the school year. I suppose at that point, all the teachers and students and parents on the road had gotten into the same groove as all the other commuters.

Apparently, at the beginning of the school year, that groove does not exist for all commuters. I was unaware that today was the beginning of the traditional school year for Wake County. I knew that the oldest Greene kid was starting middle school today, but they're in a different county. How was I to know that the whole area was on the same schedule?

I was also unaware that the first day of school would mean I needed to work in an extra 20 minutes to my commute. That's right, I was in my car for over an hour this morning. I may as well be working in Greensboro.

No comments:

Post a Comment