Sunday, August 09, 2009

New

This week's prompt over at Sunday Scribblings is "NEW."

It's hard for me to come up with something to say regarding new things in my life. Because I'm a creature of habit. I have my routines. And while I don't think of myself as a slave to these routines, I don't exactly run out and embrace new things.

But embracing newness in one's life requires a bit of optimism. I am not an optimist. While I often hope for the best in situations, I know enough to know that the best is not what will usually come about. I don't consider myself a pessimist either. I think of myself as a realist. And I know that a lot of you out there would call that pessimism, but that's okay. To me, the glass isn't half full or half empty. I'm just happy if I've got something to drink at all.

I just reread that. I'm not talking about alcohol. It almost sounds like I'm only happy if I've got a drink in my hand. I just meant that it's good to have some water in the glass at all. Especially during a drought or the country's current economic climate.

Anyway, I've gotten way off track. I'm supposed to be talking about something new. Well here's something new: my hours at work are being cut back beginning this week. Originally I was hired to work 35 hours a week. My manager has been working me 40 a week, sort of flying me under the radar. But now he's caught some crap for it and has no choice but to drop me to the 35. In monetary terms, this means a cut in pay of $200 a month.

As someone who has been living paycheck to paycheck and just barely making the ends meet, this poses a new challenge. That challenge being one of how to continue to pay bills, which are in fact increasing steadily, based on a lower paycheck.

So that's what's new in my life. Not optimistic, I know.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the finances - I'll keep my fingers crossed. I suspect the economy will be affecting more and more of us/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you well in your new job search. Look up Associated Content for a way to build some freelance credits (and perhaps earn $$). I just heard about this, so it's new to me, but it may be helpful while you pursue bread and butter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how you start speaking about being a creature of habit and not having a lot of "new" in your life, only to end with a challenge that will almost certainly require something new from you, even if it is just a new budget! Good luck - I hope it all works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your job search. I relate totally. The economy is something else lol. I like your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEKS! Everyday everyone is having to cut back and survive on less and less. Hopefully you will bea able to adjust to this "new" in your life. good luck and may Blessings from God come to you from unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete