Friday, August 28, 2009

Question of the Week: Influence

When has your life dramatically changed as the result of some seemingly random external influence? How much do you feel in control of the course of your life?

I can't think of anything random changing my life. But that could be that I don't think anything that happens to us is ever really random. Sure there are times when things that happen will seem random, but I just don't think there are any accidents. I definitely believe that things happen for a reason. And as far as controlling the course of my life goes, that gets into the issue of predestination versus free will. I'm definitely a fan of free will. I don't like to think that the decisions I make don't matter. Then again, I believe in a sovereign God who knows the outcome of every decision that we'll make. So I guess, somehow, I believe that we fall somewhere in the middle of that argument. I don't think it's one or the other.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment