Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sick Computer

Ladies and gentlemen of the interweb, my computer has called in sick today.

Last night, while I was running a virus scan and nothing else, the speakers in my laptop began playing a mysterious audio clip. From the sound of it, it seemed to be a morning talk show. And it was recent. They were talking about the possibility of Paula Abdul leaving American Idol. I know that's old news now, but it's only a couple weeks old.

Needless to say, this freaked me out a bit. So I shut down the scan and shut down the computer. When I turned it back on, it began to load Windows but then gave me a black screen and the arrow. I could move the cursor around, but there was nothing to click on.

Needless to say, this freaked me out a lot. So I shut it down and panicked. I searched through all my old receipts, praying that I could find my service plan that Best Buy sold me with the computer. Thankfully I found it and I was just under the wire. That three year plan expires in a mere four months. But since it was 10pm, there was nothing more I could do but to let her sleep for the night.

This morning I opened the laptop and tried to turn it on again. This time I got to the password screen, but could go no further. Of course, this evening when I was finally able to visit the local Geek Squad, the computer started right up, no problems. Also, no strange audio from bizarre morning programs.

The Geek in question told me that he had seen several computers with that same audio problem. So it must be that bug that's going around. You always think it'll happen to someone else but not to you.

So as I type this, I'm rerunning my virus scanner. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I'm just glad the entire computer didn't get fried. My life is on this thing. I know that's sad, but it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment