Thursday, February 18, 2010

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXXIII

I got a strange e-mail from my manager today. He requested that I meet him in the break room, but not to let anyone know that's what I was doing. I quickly and covertly made it known that I needed to use the restroom. It was a lie. And in using that lie, I felt like I was being very inconspicuous and taking part in a secret meeting.

Turns out he just needed to get my opinion on some things that had been happening behind the teller line over the last couple days. It seems that issues arise and are brought to his attention. But he's not able to just come and hang out with the tellers and wait for problems to come up. He can't just sit on the teller line with an extinguisher any time a fire flares up.

At the same time, he wasn't really asking me to be his eyes and ears. But he seemed pretty aware that I can provide an unbiased opinion when one is needed.

A few weeks ago he asked me if I was happy with my job. I decided to be honest. I told him that I wasn't happy, but I made sure he knew that it was no reflection of him or anyone else I work with. I just didn't see the point in lying about my feelings toward the job.

As we wrapped up our conversation today, he did say he wished I was happier here. His reasoning: I have a pretty firm grip on the job I do. I'm not sure I would say that about myself, but it does feel good to know that my boss sees it, even if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment