Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Legends of the Bank Teller: Episode LXXV

75 Legends of the Bank Teller. Who'd have thought that I'd put myself through this for so long? I know I sure didn't. And I've said a lot of things in those 75 posts about this job. Today I'll be discussing one of our most infamous clients. I may have mentioned her before, but I honestly don't remember. 75 is a lot of different stories to tell.

This client isn't exactly infamous in the truest sense of the word, but she's infamous among our small circle in our branch. She was just in the bank today (as she is most every day) which is why all of this is fresh on my mind.

She's rude. She's been known to, on more than a few occasions, jump ahead of people who are waiting in line to have her deposits taken care of. I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. If I were a customer, I'd sure say something. As it is, the lobby tellers who usually deal with her are pretty good about holding their tongues and finding a polite way to say she has to wait. But God help the teller that tells her to wait. As rude as she is on a good day, she gets down right snarky when it's finally her turn at the window.

She's condescending. I don't have any examples of specific things she's said in the past, but just know that she generally makes a point to place herself on a pedestal in order to stand head and shoulders above us common bank workers.

A few months ago she broke her foot. She was gone from our lives for a month. It was a good month. But then when she returned, she was even more demanding. See, she and her husband own a few small businesses in the area. So, about twice a week she calls us to demand boxes of coin for change for these businesses. I say demand, and I mean demand. Polite customers would ask nicely. She just calls and says, "I need!"

So we scramble to get the coin together quickly, because she generally shows up about two minutes after she calls from the road on the way here. And then she gets here, acts rudely, and demands that someone carry the boxes of coin to her car for her. Now, I could understand doing this for her when she was still wearing one of those air cast things for her foot, but that was months ago. She's walking around just fine now. She can carry her own freakin' coin. She just gets us to do it now because we allow her to walk all over us with her perfectly healed foot.

I really have a hard time understanding why management continues to pander to her every whim. But they do. She calls each morning to have her account balances faxed to her. When I say each morning, I mean each and every morning. You could set your watch by her predictable phone call. She could easily use the bank's internet banking option, but then she's afraid the government will see how much money she's making. Hmmm... sound shady to anyone else?

Yet we continue to treat her like she's some kind of royalty and she continues to treat us like commoners that she blesses with her presence. Jacked up if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment