Thursday, April 15, 2010

Winnings

It was brought to my attention today that the Powerball jackpot is up to $212 million this weekend. My assistant manager came around asking what each of us would do with the money if we were to win. All this speculation got us thinking about pooling our money and buying a few tickets between us. So, with six of us working in our branch, and each of us contributing two dollars to the cause, 12 tickets were purchased. Ryan, the assistant manager, did the math. After taxes and split six ways, each of us would walk away with approximately $15.9 million. That's not a bad chunk of money.

So what would I do with my share of the jackpot? I'm glad you asked...

I would first anonymously donate 1.6 million to church. I'm sure there would be a question of whether or not the church would accept money that came from gambling. But the way I've always seen it, the odds of winning something like that are astronomical. So if I win even a part of that jackpot, I have to believe that God played at least a small part in changing those odds. But I'd still make it anonymous. I don't know that I'd want a bunch of people knowing that I'm the one that donated that much cash to any one organization. For me, it wouldn't be about getting credit.

Next I'd buy a house at the lake for my mom and stepfather. He's got a boat that, as far as I'm aware, he's not able to use that often. If they were able to retire near the water, I think that would make the fisherman in Jerry very happy. And I'd give them enough money to be able to retire comfortably out there by their lake.

I'd pay off the house that they're living in now. My sister is living in their basement, so I'd buy the house and let her live there rent free.

I'd set up scholarships for the Greene kids. I'm thinking $50k each, times five kids, that would be a pretty decent start on college tuition, right? The oldest is still about 6 years away from college. So by the time they each get where they want to go, with interest earned, they'll be well on their way to a free ride. If that's what they decide to do. I'd discuss stipulations with their parents, of course.

I would treat my family to some vacations. Maybe a cruise, maybe a trip to DisneyWorld, maybe a vacation in some exotic locale, maybe all of the above.

I'd get a new car. Maybe not even a new car. Just a decent car that isn't 12 years old that always seems to have something small wrong with it.

I'd get a small place where I wouldn't necessarily have to pay rent every month. I don't want anything big or flashy, that's just not who I am. I'm only one person. I really don't need much.

I think I'd take flying lessons. Not that I have any aspirations to become a career pilot. I just think it would be fun. And since I certainly won't be working anymore, it'd be nice to have something to do to keep myself busy.

And of course I would invest a great deal of it. Enough to give me enough to live off the interest every month for the rest of my life.

Anyone else have any ideas what I should do with my share of the jackpot? I'm pretty sure I've only taken care of about 5 of the millions, maybe 6...

No comments:

Post a Comment